Thursday, February 26, 2009

Creativity


This is a work in progress from my clay studio. It was thrown and then altered by faceting the round form. This subtle alteration of a classic shape has exciting possibilities. I'm already wondering how my glazes will flow differently down the faceted form, and this is such a perfect example of authentic creativity in process. Because it's not about making masterful pottery all the time- any machine can do that. It is about letting my curiosity explore new frontiers and take serendipitous and purely intuitive chances.

Years ago, I tried running my pottery purely as a business. I had 5 employees, 25 accounts, and thought purely about which pieces maximized my bottom line. I told Creativity to behave like a proper lady- quit acting like a child!

And when my life had become a rut, a wasteland, a stifling cage of obligations, Creativity came to me again, dangling a golden key. “I can get you out, ” she said, “but you are going to have to trust me.”

This is the voice of creativity. She won’t make sense to your sensible spreadsheet, but she will satisfy your soul. Juice your juju. Wink at your wanderer. Trust her? It's not easy. It is like trusting that if you leap, the net will appear. It is trusting the current to take you rather than booking a boat tour.

Creativity doesn't rule my world today, but She has a place at my roundtable.

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

-Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment