Saturday, May 2, 2009

rhodos



There is a special moment when I first see that the hard rhododendron buds have bubbled over into these impossibly red red flowers. I am so happy to merely live as a witness! And though my rational mind says no, it is not so, something larger in me takes these rhodos as a sign, an omen, a message that beauty and happiness are constantly renewing resources, that nothing is ever truly lost, but merely dormant. And so I think that if I do not attach my happiness to this one flower alone, a whole summer of loveliness, surprises, and celebrations is waiting. I will not mourn the tulips as they drop their petals, nor say that only the sunflowers smile. I will wake up and look with amazement at each new form that beauty has taken. I think it will be the best year ever.

2 comments:

  1. ....beauty and happiness are constantly renewing resources, that nothing is ever truly lost, but merely dormant.

    Wonderful thoughts to help make it through difficult times like these!

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts along with capturing and sharing the red red rhodo in digital form.

    ReplyDelete